Sunday, February 26, 2012

Learning Journal #17: Inquiry Conference Day 2

On the second day I attended the keynote speaker's lecture, Dr. Brown and I learned so much from his lecture.  He talked about perception and lenses that we have on.  We all have different lenses on, and we can't really take it off.  Lenses are more than just attitude.  They are our desires, fears, thoughts and what makes us, us.  My lenses are my background, my culture, my religion. 

Dr. Brown talked about how we all have this fear about going out into the world, which I think is so true.  We fear what's out there, and what we don't know.  Instead of fearing what's out there we should embrace what's out there.  The world is so amazing, and it's up to us to utilize what's there.  This reminded me of the scripture in D&C, "where much is given, much is required."  What we get out of the world, is up to us.  It's up to us to take good risks and explore the world around us!  Going on a field study will give us a new perspective and broaden our lenses.

I loved how Dr. Brown encouraged us to go out and explore the world.  Importantly, he said, don't go out and try to change the world, but go out and change ourselves, change ME because I allowed myself to be there and to be able to change.  Exposing ourselves out to the world will help us open up, help us see things through other people's lenses.    Exploring the world isn't about looking at things they don't have.  It's not about going to Tonga and looking at the things they lack.  It's something bigger than that, it is about looking for things that we don't have.  It is better to focus on the things and people around us and not entirely on ourselves because those are the times that we grow (personal growth) the most.  I love that thought and am even more excited to go out and explore Tonga with a new purpose and hope to gain a new perspective! 

No comments:

Post a Comment