Monday, April 9, 2012

Learning Journal #31: fei'umu

This past Saturday, our Tongan class prepared a fei'umu.  Fei'umu is basically an underground oven and a way for cooking in Tonga.  What happens, is you wrap food such as 'ufi, manioke, talo, (yam and taro) and lu pulu, in tin foil and dig a big pit, and place the food there.  Then, you cover the food with wood, rocks, and tree branches.  So we met at the house at 8am to prepare the food.  By 12pm, we put the food into the underground oven and had to wait about four hours before it was cooked.  To pass the time, the class went and supported our BYU rugby team as they played Utah Utes for the wasatch cup.  Rugby is the most popular sport, especially in Tonga, among men.  Netball is popular among women and girls.  After the rugby game, we all went back to the house and uncovered the underground oven, and had a feast!

After everything was done and I was at home, I thought of how my time in Tonga will be spent.  I thought of how I will he helping my host family make the fei'umu for the family especially on Sunday mornings before church.  I thought of how most of the food I will be eating will be "fei'umu" food.  I also thought of how much Rugby games I will be attending.  It's interesting because what I was doing this past Saturday, will probably be some of the thing I will be doing in Tonga.  

No comments:

Post a Comment