Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Learning Journal #32: Coming to an end

This semester is coming to a close, as tomorrow is the last day of class.  Wow.  I can't believe how fast that went.  I remember starting out in the semester and not knowing exactly what I wanted to study.  I had a broad topic and just knew I wanted to look at health education.  As I reflect back on the semester, I can see how much my project has developed since the beginning. 

I am going to Tonga to study health education at Liahona high school.  I will be going for three months.  I plan to observe health classes (both students and teachers) and soon help with the daily lesson plans.  I hope to interact with students and teachers after they have signed consent forms.  I will use a survey called, the Global health school-based survey which was developed by the World Health Organization, to assess the students and look at the health topics they learn about in class.  I will also ask a few students to be interviewed, because I want to learn more about what they think about health and health education.  I will record and transcribe these interviews for accuracy, and will keep it safely locked on a password protected laptop.  This is the condensed version, of what I will be doing in Tonga for the next three months.

It's beginning to hit me, that I will be going to Tonga.  It's not longer just an "idea."  I am going to Tonga, and there's no turning back.  As it is coming closer to the time I have to depart, I've found myself thinking a lot about this trip.  My financial plans haven't gone the way I had planned in the middle of the semester, which was one of the challenges I had to face in planning this field study.  I will be missing two of my cousin's (who I am really close to) high school graduation, as well as a really good friend's wedding.  Lately, I've wondered if this is really the right thing I should be at this time in my life.  I'm reminded of Elder Wirthlin's talk at general conference where he said, "Come what may, and love it."  This has made me step back and look at my attitude and hopes for my field study.  I am going to Tonga in a few weeks, and I am excited for the experience I will gain. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment