Wednesday, January 11, 2012

learning journal#1 hopes, plans, & intentions

...So what are my plans and intentions in going on a field study??..well, to be honest I have a broad range of things I hope and plan to do in the field study.  One of my plans is to study what different health settings (such as high schools, primary schools, hospitals, and community clinics) use to promote healthy behaviors and lifestyles, and see if those methods are effective.  I've been to Tonga before and have seen the health clinics in different villages, and also the main hospital.  I've wondered if they played a role in the community's overall health and well-being or not.  Here in America, each state has a department of health, and there is a public health program I think in most counties.  The department of health here in Provo focuses on specific populations and try to reach out to them if they are at a higher risk of a health problem or something.  I know America is not even comparable to Tonga, but it made me wonder what do the health settings in Tonga do when it comes to the community or public. 
Another is to look at health education in high schools and primary schools, and see if they are appropriate or relatable to the students.  I am very interested in working in the health setting especially with youth or teenagers because there is a possibility that the normal diet of teenagers in Tonga is slightly different from the normal diet of their parents.  There has been an increase of new imported foods into Tonga over the past decades and so I think the diet among the younger generation is different than there parents (maybe just a little?  Or maybe not even at all?  Maybe that is something I could also study?)  I wanted to look at teenager's health education, because if there needs to be a change, I think it is possible to teach new health habits to teenagers because they are still young.  It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks (It is hard to teach older Tongans about things like healthy diet because they grew up eating a lot of starch..ect. and so how could we expect them to change a habit they've been used to for 40+ years or so?)  Hope that made sense.
    I'm hoping this field study could help answer those questions and even expand to answer deeper questions I have.  Then maybe, my research could be useful information for people/teachers/or health officials to use there.  Wouldnt that just be awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment