Monday, January 23, 2012

learning journal #3: WHY a field project/field research??

This past Friday (1/20) in class, Ashley asked, "WHY are YOU doing a field project/field research?"  This made me think of really, why am I doing a field project in Tonga, why would I work and save this much money to go to Tonga for three months?  And HOW would this benefit me? 

We talked about how the things we will learn and study abroad, we won't be able to learn and study in classrooms.  I totally agree with that.  I thinking knowledge about something is good to have.  Knowing things is really good.  But until you're able to apply what you know to the "real-world" or real life concepts, that knowledge isn't as valuable.  I think it's a whole different experience, being able to go out into the field and DO something there, than class assignments, or class projects.  It's like gaining experience, and I think experiences is what builds a person, or adds meaning into life. 
 Well, I am doing a field project in Tonga because I've been there twice before.  During those times, I've developed a desire to return back, and to return back with a purpose.  I developed that desire while in Tonga, after seeing the types of health settings they have, to go back and help out with whatever I can.  So when I heard about the opportunity to go to Tonga and do research on any topic, I jumped on it.  I've also been on the Liahona high school campus, which is the church high school on the main island of Tonga, and wondered how school was like for the students.  I had a lot of different questions while there that I couldn't answer.  I'm doing a field project because I want to answer the questions I have.  I want to return, and be able to DO something there!  ...so why am I doing a research in TONGA??...Well, first I'm full Tongan.  My family is from there.  Both my parents were born and raised there.  My dad's brother still lives there with his family, as well as my grandparent's brothers and sisters, and their families.  I continued to think about why I am going to Tonga and thought of this...that going back to Tonga, and being able to DO something there is like my way of giving back to my community.  I thought of how a community is much more than the place you grew up in, or just the physical part...  Yeah, I wasn't born or raised in Tonga, but that's my heritage, which makes all the difference.  I'm not just going back to Tonga...I'm going back to my roots.  I don't mean to say that I'm going to go and change Tonga and make everyone healthy and fit...I just want to go back with that deeper desire I have to help with what I can, and DO something, even if it's something small..anything..just as long as I am DOING something!

No comments:

Post a Comment