Tuesday, January 24, 2012

learning journal #4: different perspectives and perceptions

Today in class we did an activity which brought about a discussion on different perspectives and perceptions we may have on people as well as people have on us.  I thought about the perception people in Tonga may have of me while out there.  I've been to Tonga twice and both times in the beginning of the trip most people perceive me as probably a "tourist."  It's kind of funny cause sometimes in town, people talk in Tongan to one another and I could understand what they are saying. But anways, one thing I know for sure, is that I don't want them to perceive me as someone who thinks they're better than them, and is there to try and "fix" their problems.  That's the last thing I want to do, because that is just disrespectful and I myself don't like when people do that.  I hope when I request permission to go to the school and observe, that they won't think of me that way.  I've met a few faculty members and they are nice.       

Yes I share the common culture with the people in Tonga, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll have the same perspective on topics or things because I grew up in a whole different environment.  This made me think of how people who grew up in Hawaii still have different perspectives than people who grew up on the mainland (in the states) although they live in the same nation and are of the same culture.  I'm sure in Tonga I will experience different perspectives on "health" and what it means to be healthy.  But that's expected...and that's kind of why I want to go there, is to see things from their perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment