Tuesday, January 31, 2012

learning journal #7: 1/30

Today's class discussion was based on the assigned reading about monochronic and polychronic time.  Monochronic time is about making set schedules, doing one thing at a time sort of thing.  While polychronic time is multi-tasking and kind of just going with the flow.  I think the difference between the two natures of time is that M-Time (as used in the article) values time, and P-Time values relationships.  America uses M-Time with scheduled interview times, certain time a movie begins and ends at, and so forth.  Interestingly, in the article it pointed out that we could see examples of both M-Time and P-Time in our lives.  I use M-Time when I wake up, get ready, and go to school and work.  I also use P-Time when I come home and I was supposed to do something but end up doing something different, and also multitasking.  I strongly agree with what was mentioned in the article about mothers using P-Time because they are always multitasking and changing their schedule because of their children. 

I thought of Tonga and how the people kind of use both times there.  They use P-Time when it comes to church, school, and some work.  But for the most part M-Time is used because one of the main values in the Tongan culture is family and people relations.  The Tongan people value family ties and can remember very well their genealogy line.  I remember several times back home in Hawaii, our family would go to a Tongan party in town (which was an hour away) with my grandparents.  I didn't know who the party was for, but I later learned that my great great grandma's second cousin's great grandson was whom the party was for.  Family ties is very important in the culture.  Today, my grandparents still remember everyone they are related to and which village others come from.  It is such a blessing to still have them here to tell me of my genealogy.  Because of this, Tongans don't really think of time as we do here in America.  There is no time wasted when you're spending time with family and other people.  My grandparents would go to a house of their relative, down the street and could stay there for many hours, just talking and spending time.  Relationships is what binds a people or culture together.  This is very important to remember while out there in Tonga because sometimes there will be times where these two natures of time clash.  And when that does happen, all I can do is just work through it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment